For most schools, the first term of 2017 is already over and it is time for a little break. There are also quite a few long weekends coming up because of the public holidays (Hooray!). Are you planning on going away a bit?
Maybe you have planned a trip to the beach, maybe a nice Safari in the Kruger, or maybe you are going big and traveling overseas?
Whatever your plans are, remember that you are leaving some of your most valued assets either alone or in the hands of someone else while you are gone. We have a few tips for you to make sure your home is protected while you are away. If you are traveling with your car, here are some tips to ensure the safety of you and your family while on the road:
1. Make sure your household contents insurance policy is up-to-date to ensure that you are correctly covered if something happens while you are away. (Actually you should ALWAYS make sure your policy is up-to-date! But don't worry, your KIS broker will make sure it is!)
2. Turn of your geyser and water supply at home before you leave. This will ensure that no damage is done to your home should there be a geyser or pipe burst/leak.
3. Test your home alarm system and make sure it is still linked to your armed response company! If something happens, at least you will be notified, armed response will respond to the scene and hopefully apprehend the burglars before they get away with any of your belongings! In most cases your insurance policy won't cover you if you have noted a working alarm system on the policy but then it doesn't work.
4. Before hitting the road, make sure your car is still roadworthy (otherwise the insurance might not pay out if something happens). This includes checking the tread on your tyres as well as the pressure, checking that your wiper blades are in good working order and not worn out and making sure that your headlights are all working and providing sufficient visibility at night.
5. Keep your insurance emergency assist phone numbers on your phone so that if there is an emergency, you have the number on hand to call them immediately thus ensuring quick and efficient assistance to help you out!
6. If you are planning on leaving the country, make sure all your valuables that you will be traveling with are insured correctly under the All Risk section (this ensures that they are covered worldwide!) and that you have sufficient travel insurance in place for you and your family.
These are some simple and easy precautions to take before embarking on your journey with your family but they have proven to save client's a lot of time, stress and money.
Don't let your holiday be ruined by something that could have been prevented (or eased) by having proper insurance and security/safety precautions in place!
Stay safe on the roads and we at Kern Insurance Solutions wish you the happiest of holidays! Contact us today for awesome insurance quotes and advice from a personal broker.